Silverfish Control the Hearts Pest Management way
Silverfish are small, fast, wingless insects with a steel grey color that gives them their name. They are long and flat with bristly protrusions at their abdomen. For this reason, they are also known as Bristle Tails and Fringetails. Sometimes, they are mistaken for centipedes or millipedes.
Silverfish may eat a variety of foods, but they love starchy foods and molds. Although they won’t get rid of mold from a home infected with it, silverfish may proliferate in a mold infested home. Paper is, unfortunately, a very starchy food, and silverfish will consume it if they are allowed to. Maps, documents and books are all at risk from silverfish, especially if they are being kept in the places most likely frequented by silverfish such as basements, attics and garages.
Silverfish Prevention – Protecting Your Valuables
Silverfish can be prevented or reduced by:
- minimizing their food supply in the areas they breed and frequent.
- controlling moisture in the basement, garage or attic is important.
- placing starchy foods in plastic containers, denying deny them access.
- using plastic containers to store things in the garage or attic to eliminate a food source since cardboard is similar to paper as a food source for silverfish.
Hearts Pest Management treats silverfish comprehensively and effectively.
- A thorough inspection of your property will ensure that you get the best treatment.
- Your Hearts Consulting Pest Technician will then treat your home for silverfish as described below.
- We will help you develop a plan to protect you from re-infestations in the future.
- We will guide you in eliminiting the type of habitat that promotes the proliferation of silverfish.
Silverfish can be treated with localized spraying, dusting and granual treatments. Some times a whole house treatment may be necessary if silverfish are firmly established throughout the home. For inside the home, pyrethroids in both dust and liquid formulations are effective against silverfish.
|Pyganic Pro is an organic alternative that eliminates silverfish. Hearts Pest Management has organic pest control solutions for silverfish and other insects. Hearts was the first pest control company in Southern California to be EcoWise certified.|
Silverfish and Firebrats
Silverfish and Firebrats are closely related. There are several species of each, but they all share some common traits.
- Silverfish are small (1/2 inch to 1/4 inch) and metallic-gray in color.
- Silverfish have three tails and long antenna.
- Like all insects, silverfish have six legs.
- Some silverfish species have patches of darker metallic coloring on their backs. Others may have striping.
- Silverfish are fast movers and may jump if surprised or threatened.
Fire Brats are similar to silverfish in many ways, but their markings are different. They have the characteristic three tails and long antenna. They may have a metallic hue, but their color is mottled dark gray against tan or brown.
|Review our: Pest Control Product labels and MSDS list, which is amended regularly as we research the best pest control products available for silverfish.|
Pest control consulting technicians dispatched from your home town!
Call today at 1-800-986-1006 for help with silverfish or contact us.
|Los Angeles • 800-986-1006|
|Alhambra||Granada Hills||Rolling Hills Estates|
|Arcadia||Hacienda Heights||Santa Clarita|
|Beverly Hills||Hollywood||Santa Fe Springs|
|Burbank||La Verne||Santa Monica|
|Calabasas||Long Beach||Sherman Oaks|
|City of Industry||Manhattan Beach||Tarzana|
|City Of Los Angeles||Marina Del Rey||Toluca Lake|
|Diamond Bar||Pasadena||West Covina|
|El Monte||Pomona||West Hollywood|
|El Segundo||Rancho Palos Verdes||West Los Angeles|
|Orange County • 800-986-1006|
|Aliso Viejo||Garden Grove||Orange|
|Anaheim||Huntington Beach||Rancho Santa Margarita|
|Buena Park||La Habra||San Clemente|
|Capistrano Beach||Laguna Beach||San Juan Capistrano|
|City Of Orange||Laguna Hills||Santa Ana|
|Corona Del Mar||Laguna Niguel||Tustin|
|Costa Mesa||Lake Forest||Villa Park|
|Dana Point||Los Alamitos||Westminster|
|Fountain Valley||Mission Viejo||Yorba Linda|
|San Diego Inland • 858-486-1006|
|4S Ranch||Rancho Bernardo||Scripps Ranch|
|Back Country • 760-789-4004|
|North Inland • 760-745-1331|
|Escondido||Hidden Meadows||Valley Center|
|City of San Diego • 619-440-6080|
|Coronado||Pacific Beach||The City Of San Diego|
|Mira Mesa||Point Loma|
|North Coastal • 760-753-8008|
|Cardiff By The Sea||Encinitas||San Marcos|
|Carlsbad||La Jolla||Solana Beach|
|Del Mar||Rancho Santa Fe|
|South San Diego - East San Diego • 619-440-6080|
|Alpine||East Lakes Chula Vista||La Mesa|
|Chula Vista||Imperial Beach||Santee|
|Riverside • 951-693-5005|
|Chino Hills||Moreno Valley||Sun City|
|San Bernardino • 909-793-0252|